India International Down Syndrome Conference (IIDSC) 2017
September 9th and 10th 2017, India Habitat Center, New Delhi
Down syndrome is the most common genetic condition in the world today and India has one of the highest incidences of Down syndrome. In spite of that, awareness about this condition is so low, most people tend to confuse persons with Down syndrome with other intellectual disabilities. The Down Syndrome Federation of India would like to break the myths associated with Down syndrome and help make people more aware about it and help break various taboos related to this condition.
Persons with Down syndrome have achieved a lot in the fields of art, sports and cultural activities. What is needed is a change in the mindsets of people. In order to do this, DSFI is proud to present the 1st India International Down Syndrome Conference in Delhi on the 9th and 10th of September 2017.
To ensure that individuals with Down syndrome in India are appreciated, integrated into society, and given the right opportunities to lead rewarding lives by providing information, networking opportunities, and encouragement for persons with Down syndrome and their families, educators, health care professionals, and our community in general at this conference.
This event intends to bring together all stakeholders in the field of Down syndrome to bring about a positive change in the lives of persons with Down syndrome in our country.
With various papers being presented and persons with Down syndrome also represented at the conference, this conference aims to disseminate information to persons dealing with Down syndrome on the best ways to ensure a better life for them. We would like society to accept them as they are and help them by not sympathizing or empathizing with them, but by treating them as equals.
Purpose of this conference
- To reach out to a larger population of society in our country to talk about Down syndrome and to provide the right kind of information to them to enable them to lead better lives.
- To better educate the public in India about the possibilities and potential of all people with Down syndrome.
- To facilitate networking opportunities and assist in providing direct support for persons with Down syndrome and their families throughout the country.
- To try to bring to the mainstream individuals with Down syndrome in India in the field of quality education.
- To inform our stakeholders information and resources related to Down syndrome from across the world
- To empower persons with Down syndrome to become effective self-advocates who can speak for their rights and abilities.
- To support change and new policies for community inclusion and employment for adults with Down syndrome.
- To advocate for Persons with Down syndrome to have access to high quality medical services, research facilities and insurance.
- Identify, develop and disseminate best practices for supporting Persons with Down syndrome and their families which would enable them to lead respectful lives.
The event website www.iidsc.co.in is under construction and will be ready shortly with all the information regarding the event. Contact us by mailing to us - firstname.lastname@example.org - for any further information.